Friday, February 24, 2012

Shawarma-Alarma! (Yes, I went there)

There is a reason why I don't like eating out at restaurants too often, mainly because I have NO idea how they prepare the food, where the ingredients come from, and how many calories/grams of fat/other additives the meal will contain. Thus, I opt for cooking my own food (which I love doing), knowing full well what I put into my body. 
Some restaurants will disclose such information like calorie count and amount of fat, or even ingredients, but how often do people check, nor do they care?
I just read an article about Me Va Me's Shawarma in a pita, which a couple thought that by eating it, they were making a healthy choice (as opposed to eating at McDonald's, for example). Well, as you probably have guessed, they were wrong! Read here to find out just how wrong were they. 
Although the pita has many more calories and fat a person should be consuming a day, it does contain more natural ingredients than a big mac, and you do get more vegetables. It is important to be aware that foods that seem healthy, are not necessarily so, thus we either need to limit those to a minimum, or cook at home! (which could be really fun if you find the right recipes)

Comment below if you have ever experienced a similar thing, where you found out a food you were eating turned out to be much worse than you initially thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment