Sunday, March 4, 2012

How Do You Like Your Peanuts?

Last night I was in the mood for baking, but didn't feel like taking out the food processor,
bowels, measurement cups, or trying to locate 20 ingredients around my kitchen. I think I
was more in the mood for eating baked goods, not actually making them, but since I don't
usually buy those, I reluctantly opened up all my recipe books, on a quest to find a cookie
recipe with 5 ingredients or less. I was about to lose hope until I found a peanut butter
cookie recipe in Norene Gilletz's "Healthy Kitchen". I love this book because it has so
many delicious healhy recipes that happen to be simple to make, as well as kosher.
On to the peanut butter cookies-there are only 3 ingredients in the recipe! As I mentioned
before, I was quite lazy last night so number of ingrediens was my only requirement. To
my surprise (and delight), they turned out really good!


What's left of the 26 cookies I made last night :)
Here is the recipe:
Yield: approx 26 cookies
Ingredients:
1 cup smooth or crunchy natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (I only used 1/4 cup and they were sweet enough)
1 egg


1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowel, combine all ingredients together and mix well. Drop by rounded
teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie
3. Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Remove from oven and let cool on the
baking sheet for 10-15 minutes. The cookies will firm up as they cool
4. Enjoy!


A few facts about peanuts:
-the peanut is the most popular nut in the United States
-it is actually more a pea than a nut! It is considered a legume and is a cousin of the pea
-peanuts are composed of half fat (healthy monounsaturated fats), a quarter protein,
and the rest carbohydrate. It also contains folic acid, Vitamin B1 and B3, magnesium,
phosphorus, manganese, and other nutrients.
-the peanut is known to be protective of the heart and blood vessels. Many studies show
that eating more peanuts can help reduce the risk of heart disease.


Although peanuts are very good for you, if you are trying to lose weight limit
consumption of peanuts as they are high in fat (the good kind!)


How do you eat your peanuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment