Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bite the Blueberry!



I love food. I love the taste, the smell, the vibrant colours, and the flexibility of being able to make almost anything out of any type of food. But most of all, I love how healthy food can be!
But of course I'm only talking about the food that naturally grows, not chemically synthesized. I feel like many foods don't get the love and attention that they so deserve so I have decided to highlight these awesome foods every chance I get. To start, this week I'm planning to showcase my favourite foods, and hope to make them your favourite as well! (or at least get you to try them :-) )
First up are blueberries! The reason why I love blueberries (besides their awesome taste) is because they are so versatile! You can eat them fresh or frozen (you don't know what you are missing if you have never tried frozen blueberries); you can put them in cakes, pies, muffins, granola bars, hot or cold cereal, smoothies, apple crisp, pudding, sauce, yogurt, pancakes, cookies, scones, cobbler, jam, and much more! Your imagination (and your ability to search for recipes online) is the limit!
I also love these tiny fruits because they are super healthy. They contain lots of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin E, riboflavin, and manganese. They are also a rich source of flavonoids, mainly anthocyanidins, which are responsible for the dark colour. This compound has an exceptional antioxidant activity, possibly having the highest antioxidant capability among many fruits and vegetables.

What does this mean for our health? studies done of blueberries and their health benefits found that they can help protect the brain from oxidative stress and reduce the effect of age-related conditions, like Alzheimer's disease. As well, blueberries were found to improve vision and help in protecting against macular degeneration, and much more.
With all these benefits, you can't afford not to eat these!

Comment below if you have any great blueberry recipes!
Check back tomorrow to see what my next favourite food is!

No comments:

Post a Comment